So you know that word game, fortunately/unfortunately?
Well it’s quite fitting for this project, so here goes.
I needed to make a muslin for the white lace tee in my fall challenge wardrobe.
Fortunately, I am using Colette’s Sorbetto Pattern which I’ve made previously so the muslin is just to check the fit of the sleeves.
Unfortunately, I strongly dislike making muslins that will be thrown away at the end of a project.
Fortunately, I was reading g r a i n l i ne and saw Jen’s cute new Scout Woven Tee Pattern which she’d made in a Liberty of London fabric.
image source: g r a i n l i n e studio
Unfortunately, the pattern would have to be graded up 4 sizes to fit me.
Fortunately, it reminded me I had a scant metre of tana lawn from the Liberty remnants bin. (Yes, I made a muslin from Liberty fabric).
Unfortunately, it really was scant so I couldn’t add any length to the Sorbetto bodice and I had to have the patterns going opposite directions on the front and back.
Fortunately, I managed to squeeze it out of the fabric.
Unfortunately, I cut it the wrong way and wound up with two left sleeves (which is so much worse than two left feet when it comes to sewing).
Fortunately, they still set in okay.
Unfortunately, I attached the bias binding for one sleeve to the wrong side and had to unpick it.
Fortunately, I distracted myself from the tedium of un-picking with my pretend husband Jon Stewart and the Daily Show (seriously he’s the only person who has me laughing in a room by myself. Wit and intelligence is hot!).
Unfortunately, I was so distracted guffawing that I went and sewed the binding on backwards again.
Fortunately, third times a charm and I really liked the finish.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough bias binding to finish the hem the same way to preserve as much length as possible.
Fortunately, Allison C. posted this tip for baby hems last week and it worked a treat.
Phew, done! And I love it.