This version: Pale rose matt lycra.
Continuing on my quest for work-wear that feels like PJs, I finally jumped on the Vogue 1250 bandwagon and like a broken record I can add my cry to the masses – “what took me so long?!”.
The only tricky bit was figuring out the full bust adjustment, as there is really only 2 pieces to this pattern – the upper back, and the rest. I took flat measurements and added a couple of inches to the skirt at the centre back. I knew I’d need more room at the bust but I didn’t want to add any at the waist so rather than a normal FBA, I winged it. (Sorry if it doesn’t make sense – the pictures didn’t come out as clear as I’d hoped.)
The net result is a much deeper tuck at the shoulder giving more room at the bust. I had my fingers crossed the whole way but I like how it turned out.
Just a heads up if you’re looking for some 2012 sewing inspiration there are some g00d pattern deals to be had right now.
Oh boy, I hereby admit to being a terrible participant. Apparently my best intentions of sewalongs and project themes are just no match for my ability to veg out and do nothing. Whilst, one of my firm beliefs is sewing feels like a chore, you shouldn’t do it, I would also like to believe I’m not one to back down from a challenge so here is my pledge for So Zo’s Challenge:
‘I, Alana of Lazy Stitching, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-March ’11. I endeavour to wear all me-made items with the exception of tights, knitwear and unmentionables each day for the duration of March 2011′
After the fun of Self-Stitched-September I’ve tried to step up my commitment from just wearing one me-made item a day. But I also know, I’m never going to get round to sewing knit basics like singlets and cardigans. I tried once and it didn’t go well:
I’ve had this one in the back of my mind for a while, inspired first by this dress from Brian Reyes Resort 2011.
And to be honest I was expecting this project to be harder but everything kept falling into place. I found this pattern, Vogue 1109, and decided to take a gamble.
I extended the hem to the knee, following the existing lines on the tunic front, back and sides and I raised the arm hole by an inch. I ended up needing to take an extra dart of fabric at the bust, but that was the only hiccup asides from the pain of cutting graphic stripes.
Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones xo.
I don’t know why, but this dress feels like a ‘Betty’ to me. It’s Very Easy Vogue 8631 and it was an absolute dream to sew. Maybe it’s because I’ve been sewing with a few tricky fabrics lately and this was plain old polka-dotty cotton, but it went together easily, all the instructions made sense, all the bits fit together well, and the only thing I found odd is that it relies on just a hook and eye to keep the front closed.
It’s a pretty simple design with maximum pay off. The bodice has kimono sleeves and two pleats, the skirt has 3 pleats. The back has two skirt darts, two back darts and two tiny neckline darts to keep it fitted. The centre back skirt seam is curved slightly so I couldn’t match the pattern as well as the centre back bodice seam.
Fabric: $14.5 (2.9m @ $5/m – Spotlight)
TOTAL: NZ$25.50 / US$$17.70
Well here they are. The 16 patterns winging there way here to me thanks to my sale fever: